9th September 2017 – The Blackcomb Ascent

Yesterday Whistler was deluged by constant rain, so I spent my day catching up with my blog and some other writing.  Today I’m working at the Feast again, but I want to do something with my morning.  When I look outside, the weather is cold, but dry.  There is a 65% chance of rain on the weather app, but I decide to take the chance and try my luck at completing the Blackcomb Ascent.

I completed the Big Burn trail a few weeks ago, but now that the chair lift is shut down, I need to complete it again in order to get to the Heart Burn trail.  Considering how much it took out of me the first time, I’m kind of dreading it.  The weather isn’t encouraging either, managing to look fairly ominous at the chance of rain.  The weather app suggests I’ll be fine until the afternoon though, and I know if I don’t go now I never will, so grit my teeth and push on.


To be honest, without the vicious heat and humidity of the earlier summer, the Big Burn trail is a lot easier than I expected.  With the cool air I’m making good time, getting to the chairlift changing station in less than half the time it took me before.

The downside?  It’s started to rain. Heavily.

It’s been raining for a while, but the Big Burn is under thick tree cover, so I never even noticed.  The Heart Burn trail wouldn’t give me that benefit.  Most of the Heart Burn is on open ground, or very sparse woodland.  However, with the chairlift closed, my options are either to keep going, or head down a mountain that has a warning recommending you don’t go down in the rain, so I head on up.


It is definitely a challenge – I have a raincoat and it performs admirably, but after an hour of constant rain it’s starting to struggle, as are my shoes.  Not to mention the water brings an added chill, and that makes me hungry.  All that keeps me putting one foot in front of the other is the mantra ‘there’s food at the top.’

Not that it’s all bad.  The views (that I can see outside of the cloud) are amazing, and the trail is nowhere near as steep as Big Burn, so I even manage to run or jog sections of it. I also get a surprise midway through when I spot a castle hidden in the middle of the forest.


This is part of the Adventure course for kids in winter, so I’ll have to explore it once the snow makes it accessible again.

After about 3 hours since I started at the foot of the Big Burn, I finally make it to the Rendezvous restaurant, and blessedly drag myself to the counter for hot chocolate and food.

I’m so happy to be up, but it doesn’t take long to realise the worst part of this plan.  No chairlift means I have to travel via the Peak to Peak, and then down the gondola.  It’s going to be at least 40 minutes to get home while wearing wet clothing.  Needless to say, I spent most of my time on the gondola shivering, and then all but bolt up to my flat for the hottest shower I can stand without burning my skin.

I only get an hour or so to warm up and relax, because I’m on the Feast again.  The weather had affected the numbers, and we’re only having one sitting of just over 100 people.  However, we’ve also developed a leak in the serving area, right smack bang where the dessert table normally stands, so the staff have to get creative with the curtains – helped by us only putting out half the normal servings given how quiet it is.

All things considered, it was a really quiet day.  We had more than enough people to stay on top of the plates – most of the night I was coming into the dish pit with only one plate or a cup.  On the plus side, this meant everyone was out of the building at 8:30 and didn’t have to rush to get the place prepped for the morning.

I’ve also been approved for the rest of the Feasts this month, so it’s a guarantee of 4-5 extra hours each week.  This in conjunction with my attempts to get on the Dead Season’s cleaning crew means I should keep myself financially solvent even after the Turkey Sale and into winter.


About Batale

I am an aspiring writer - though since I haven't written anything original in about 2 years, so calling me a writer is like calling a man who makes dinner every night a 5 star chef. I started this blog to force me to write. From the 1st January 2013, I intend to update this blog every day. If nothing interesting happens, I'll write about something that does interest me, whether that is a movie, a book, something I've heard about, or even some of my stories growing up.
This entry was posted in Canada, Diary, Whistler and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s