2nd July 2017 – Whistler Fire

Today I’m in on prep, and it’s my first time making the corn salsa.  Unlike the tomato salsa, it’s a bit complicated.  There’s 3 times as many ingredients, and it’s a bit of a rush to get it done in time.

This is the first week I’ve been on consistently, and I’m starting to struggle.  I’ve been so focused on keeping salsa stacked, that I haven’t paid attention to the other toppings.  I need the help of some of the backline to stay on top of everything.

We’re a little busier than yesterday.  Since all the events were yesterday, a lot of people are coming to Blackcomb today.  Thanks to this, come 3:30 we can’t close because we still have a queue.  At 4:00 we have to get a supervisor to shut the line down or we’d never get out.

Normally, by 5pm the restaurant is pretty empty with people heading down the chairlift.  However, we’re still packed, and there’s an announcement overheard urging guests to head to the Peak to Peak.  We learn the reason pretty early on – there’s a fire on Blackcomb Mountain.  Not all that close to us, but close enough that if the wind shifts the chairlift will be dangerous, so everyone is being evacuated via the Peak to Peak to Whistler.  We’re in the same boat, but since the queue is so long, all the employees just hang around the café bar until we’re the last ones on the mountain.  The best part is knowing that if we sign in at Roundhouse, we get paid for the additional time, which is a nice bonus.

It all seems like a big fuss over nothing, since we can barely see any smoke from the Rendezvous.  Ten minutes later though, we’re on the Peak to Peak, and watching the mountain in shock.  What was a tiny plume is now quite significant.


Another surprise is that although most of our gondola is staff, we have a few guests, one of which is in fact famous – Dennis Quaid.

Course, most of us don’t realise until too late.  One guy in the gondola realises it and gets a photo with him, but then we land and separate, so that was my biggest brush with fame.

Fire Line

When we get to the Roundhouse, the queue for the gondola is still long since it has to deal with Whistler and Blackcomb’s evacuation.  Once we get checked out though, we get shown a shortcut where we can slip past the queue and hop down without having to wait.


When we get down, most of Whistler is watching the battle to douse the flames.  I manage to get a great spot at the bottom of Staff Hill where I watch one of the planes dump the red chemicals onto the flames.  The sky is full of drones and water carrying choppers and planes, and it goes on until the late night.  Come morning, the sky is even full of mist from the excess water.  Lesson well learned about fire hazards.


About Batale

I am an aspiring writer - though since I haven't written anything original in about 2 years, so calling me a writer is like calling a man who makes dinner every night a 5 star chef. I started this blog to force me to write. From the 1st January 2013, I intend to update this blog every day. If nothing interesting happens, I'll write about something that does interest me, whether that is a movie, a book, something I've heard about, or even some of my stories growing up.
This entry was posted in Canada, Diary, Whistler and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s