Got a call from Cavanagh yesterday about a possible job. Data Entry for a power tool company. Bad news? It was all the way on the North Shore – nearly an hour away via public transport.
However, I am in no position to complain, and start my trek this morning. Unfortunately I am almost immediately hindered by a delayed bus after reaching Constellation Station, and don’t dare risk walking the 30 minutes it would take due to the pouring rain and the fact that my shoes are no longer waterproof (the soles have cracked and the heels are broken). Thankfully, with the careful application of running once the bus does show up, I’m only a few minutes late.
Makita is a wholesale power tool company, and my job is to process email orders. System is rather old school – reminds me of the older CHI system at the NHS – but easy enough to pick up. I’m just doing the ‘can’t delay’ work while they hunt a permanent member of staff.
I’m only employed for the week, with the possibility of next week, but honestly by day 2 I’m ready to throw in the towel. There is just not enough work for me. I process the orders that come in the night before within ten minutes, then have to look busy while I wait for another one to show up. Perhaps I should like a job where I’m just hanging round and doing nothing, but I’d rather be active and learning new skills that I can feel good about putting on a resume.
Due to this, and the hike involved in getting there, when Quinn call with a possible job next week I have interest. Two weeks as a receptionist for an architecture firm in the Viaduct. Only 7 hours a day, but no travel. By 12pm Makita haven’t asked me to extend, so I say yes. Turns out Makita were still interested in having a temp next week, but never bothered to say until the end of the day. At least I told Cavanagh earlier in the week my issues.
Don’t get to be lazy over the weekend though. Got an expensive and busy itinerary to get through!