12th November – Alice Springs

Apparently second time’s the charm, cause I wake up around 7 with people starting to wake up around me.  Grab another shower, and then grab a cooked breakfast from the cafe, before beginning to pack up my stuff and getting ready for Alice Springs.  Once there I hit a bit of an issue when I realise there’s no cash machine and the shuttle bus (the only realistic way to get to my hostel) only takes cash.  Thankfully, there’s a few other girls heading there and they spot me until I can get to a cash point.

Like in Darwin, I’m staying at the YHA in Alice Springs, which is just off the main shopping area.  It’s too early to check in, so I dump my bags and go wandering into town – registering with the Rock Tour office and hunting down a handful of clothing items for my travels.  To my delight I find a pair of travel trousers on sale for $49, and also get a shirt for $80 – more than I wanted to pay, but my plaid one is getting too hot for this country, and I cannot find a decent linen one for love or money – at least this one is a good brand and I should get plenty of wear out of it.  Also grab a fly net since Uluru is really bad for them this time of year.

At the YHA, I check in and start trying to organise a bag for 3 days.  They have limited space on the bus, so recommend people bring a large plastic bag filled with a change of clothes and any personal items, and a day pack that can handle 2 large 1.5 litre bottles of water for hiking.  Once I’ve made enough headway, I decide to head straight for the swimming pool to cool down, where I meet my companions for the next 3 days.

Beth and Celine are both Au Pairs in Canberra, taking some time off to see the centre.   We made some plans to meet up later (which sadly didn’t plan out) before I headed off to go check out the Reptile Centre – just can’t seem to get enough of scales this trip.


This is one of the largest collections of reptiles in Australia, although admittedly compared to Crocosaurus Cove it felt a little meh.  The biggest draw was Ruby the Goanna, who was allowed to run around the main area at her leisure… although her greatest desire was to get out the door and see all the more dangerous lizards she’s not allowed near.


In the evening I headed up to watch the sunset from Anzac Hill.  However, I ended up leaving before it fully set as I’d gotten really hungry, and there was an event going on in town.  The Night Markets – and they were only open for about another two hours… and I still had to get my bags finalised and in lock up before I left.

The street is filled with craft tables and various different foodstuffs, mostly Asian.  Managed to get a motley collection of snacks to make up dinner before heading back to my hostel to lock up the laptop in a safe and get my large back in the storage cupboard (just made it with minutes to spare!).


About Batale

I am an aspiring writer - though since I haven't written anything original in about 2 years, so calling me a writer is like calling a man who makes dinner every night a 5 star chef. I started this blog to force me to write. From the 1st January 2013, I intend to update this blog every day. If nothing interesting happens, I'll write about something that does interest me, whether that is a movie, a book, something I've heard about, or even some of my stories growing up.
This entry was posted in Australia, Diary and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s